The Florida Geomatics Users Group (formerly the FL GPS Users Group) has posted a short series of 1-hr videos on geodetic surfaces, horizontal and vertical datums and the 2022 datums that were done by Dave Doyle and Dave Newcomer (former NGS FL geodetic advisor). Their effort was to make theseRead More
Do You Need a Surveyor?
Do you need a Land Surveyor?
- Possible encroachments on your potential property can become bigger issues down the road. For example, a neighbor’s fence, wall or even a building could be on your property without you knowing it. A survey can give you clear boundaries of your property.
- A land survey will help protect your investment. A survey can reveal the exact property dimensions, size, and location of the home on the property, as well as any other improvements on the land, such as a driveway.
- Some property owners plan on dividing their property to give to a family member or sell for profit. A land survey would let you know what regulations may affect your plans.
- If you are planning on doing any excavation or construction, a surveyor can advise you on the existence of underground cables and drains. You may also find that a utility company has the right to use a portion of your property for upkeep of utility lines, and may also have the right to determine how tall you let your trees grow, for example.
- In case of a dispute, your Surveyor can act as an expert witness, and will assume professional responsibility for your survey in court.
- A surveyor can determine whether or not your home is within a flood zone. This information can drastically affect the cost of homeowner’s insurance and potentially save (or cost) you thousands of dollars a year!