GPS on Benchmarks
Help improve the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) and prepare for the NSRS modernization in 2022 by participating in the GPS on Bench Marks (GPS on BM) for the Transformation Tool campaign. Your efforts will support the following objectives:
- Improve the 2022 Transformation Tool, which will enable conversions from current vertical datums to the North American-Pacific Geopotential Datum of 2022 (NAPGD2022) and will be integrated into the NGS Coordinate Conversion and Transformation Tool (NCAT).
- Update Passive Control Status: mark recoveries and shared solutions provide NGS and other users of the NSRS with insight into the health of the passive control network and updated information for project planning.
- Automatic Reprocessing in 2022: Shared data will be automatically reprocessed and given new coordinates after the NSRS modernization occurs in 2022.
Recover, Observe, Report
Regardless of your objective, GPS on BM will always include three important steps: recover, observe, and report.
- Recover: Use GPSonBM web map to identify priority marks in your area, or the NGS Data Explorer to look up the description of existing bench marks. Follow the instructions on the Recover page to find bench marks of interest.
- Observe: Follow instructions on the Observe page and record field notes, take digital photos, and collect GPS observations for the bench mark you visit.
- Report: Use the online Mark Recovery Form to submit your recovery notes and photos and Share the OPUS Solutions from your GPS observations.