#WVSPS23 Map Contest Now Open!
The West Virginia Society of Professional Surveyors (WVSPS) is bringing back the annual map contest for the 55th Annual Convention to be held February 9-11, 2023 at the Stonewall Resort in Roanoke, West Virginia.
Submissions are Due December 15, 2022
For information on submitting your map entry:
- Only licensed members of WVSPS may submit maps. If you aren’t a member of WVSPS you can submit your membership application along with the map entry form. Contact WVSPS at 304-208-8970 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
- The survey must be within the state of West Virginia.
- All maps must have been produced from December 1, 2021, to November 20, 2022. Dates must be shown on each map.
- The name of the surveyor/company must be concealed on the face of each map to be judged. Please check all notes on the map for compliance. DO NOT put your name on the back of the map.
- Each entrant* will be limited to one map in each of the following categories:
- Subdivision Plats
- Boundary/Cadastral Maps
- Topographic Maps
- ALTA/NSPS Survey Maps (click here for the ALTA/NSPS standards)
- The same map may not be used in more than one category.
- Maps must be clearly marked to indicate in which category the entry is to be judged. If, in the opinion of the judges, the map has been submitted in an incorrect category, the entry form is incomplete, illegible, incorrect or not submitted, or upon failure to comply with any of the Map Contest rules, the map will be disqualified.
- All entries must be un-mounted prints with a maximum size of 24 by 36 inches. (Only Deep Mine maps entered in the miscellaneous category may be larger if needed to include all required information.)
- Entries will be judged on completeness, legibility, and presentation. The decisions of the judges are final.
- Awards will be presented for first, second, and third place winners in each category. Along with a plaque for 1st place, there will be cash prizes in the amounts of $100 for 1st place, $50 for 2nd place, and $25 for 3rd place.
- Deliver 2 copies (one copy with the name of the surveyor/company (including the logo) concealed for judging, and one copy with the name visible for display at the convention) for each category entry to WVSPS, 1014 6th Avenue, Huntington, WV 25701 postmarked no later than December 15, 2022. Entries must be folded to fit into a 9” x 12” envelope. Each entry must include a completed entry form to be eligible for judging.
- Old and interesting maps may be sent for display at the convention, however, there will be no awards for this category. Please indicate who is providing the map.
- All maps entered (except old and interesting maps) become the property of WVSPS upon submission for the contest.
*The entrant is the professional whose signature and seal appear on the map. Multiple entrants from a single company are permitted provided their entries and registration documents are submitted separately.
Click here to download and print the submission form.
For questions or concerns, please contact the WVSPS Admin office either by email at email@example.com or by phone at (304) 208-8970.